Tinnitus: Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs about Tinnitus [PDF]
Tinnitus is a persistent ringing, pulsing, or humming sound in the head or ears. Symptoms can result in anxiety, depression, irritability, sleep difficulties, impaired concentration, or a decreased ability to understand speech.
People experiencing tinnitus usually want to better understand their condition and they have many questions.
An insightful article from Peter Slobin, an audiologist in B.C., discusses some of the most frequently asked questions in depth:
- What is tinnitus?
- What is the cause of tinnitus?
- Will it go away or will it get worse?
- What should I do about tinnitus?
- What should I do if none of the above works?
As mentioned in the FAQs, one of the main treatment options for tinnitus is called “tinnitus retraining therapy” (TRT). TRT can help you cope with tinnitus and reduce or eliminate the negative effects mentioned above. Based on neurophysiology and habituation, TRT helps patients become accustomed to their tinnitus and train themselves to disregard it, which can be a very successful way to treat tinnitus.
The article includes some encouraging words for tinnitus sufferers; “remember to stay positive because, over time, most people find relief.”
>> Karen Kahansky, founder of K&H Audiology, has been certified for Tinnitus Retraining Therapy for Management of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis from The Jastrebroff Hearing Disorders Foundation. This uniquely qualifies K&H Audiology to treat tinnitus – only a select few Canadian audiologists have this designation.
- In-the-ear (ITE) Hearing Aids – Video - May 11, 2017
- Changing a Hearing Aid Battery - May 2, 2017
- Hearing Aid Accessories – Video - April 22, 2017
- Busting Myths About Hearing Loss – Video - April 17, 2017
- Changing Wax Guard for Hearing Aids – Video - April 3, 2017
- Hearing Aid Styles – In-the-ear ITE - March 30, 2017
- Our First “Live with audiologist” session – Video - March 30, 2017
- Hearing Loss – Video - March 2, 2017
- Be Prepared When Sudden Deafness Hits Home - February 16, 2017
- Tinnitus: What is It and how to treat it – Video - February 8, 2017